Thursday, November 12, 2009

This week in class we finished up talking about socialization and how it related to teenagers. We spent a few days discussing teenagers role in society. We then learned how society expects us to magically one day transform into an adult. This transition may be more difficult for some people because they grew up depending on others. I had that exact problem. Although my parents raised me to be independent, I always knew I could fall back on my parents when I struggled. I remember a few years ago my mom said to me one day, "Gillian, you can either let that laundry sit around in your room, or you can do it yourself." Not only was I shocked that my mom was now forcing me to grow up, but I had no idea what I was doing. I brought my clothes downstairs and honestly had no idea what I was doing. For about 2 loads I forgot to put soap in. Then my mom finally showed me what to do and ever since then I've known what to do. She allowed me to learn on my own, but was still there for me when I needed help. I have used this same idea with my sister. She was in the same position as I was, and instead of just doing it for her, I let her mess up a few times and then finally stepped in. This is much more valuable than just doing it for her because she essentially doesn't learn anything from it.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes we have to mess up in order to grow. I think that is a great way to teach kids how to do independent (adult) work. Let them try it on their own but tell them that you are always there for them and they can always ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with how your mom taught you to do laundry. my mom taught me how to do laundry when i was around 8, but she started making me do it when i was a sophomore to prepare myself for college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you and Carlie. Making mistakes is a part of life, and not having someone do something for you is part of the challenge to see how you can handle being independent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forcing teenagers can sometimes be a good thing; then we learn from what we have no idea what we're doing. But I agree that there needs to be that balance from what we are taught actually and what we are thrown into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i see where everyone is coming from but i also think that people learn from mistakes and making a mistake is sometimes the only way to learn something new

    ReplyDelete