Friday, October 30, 2009

This week in class we talked about socialization and the difference between genders and how they grow up. We each brought in different childhood toys and we learned that there was an apparent difference between female toys and male toys. Boy toys tended to be more macho looking and had a tough guy appeal. On the other hand, girls toys were very motherly and attracted to nurtering little people/ things. This behavior developed at a young age creates a certain mindset for kids growing up. They get this certain idea in their head and they feel the need to fufill these expectation. An example is the way and difference my younger brother and sister grew up. Because my sister is 3 years younger and my brother is 6 years younger, I had the chance to watch them grow up and they continue to. My sister always played with my old dolls such as Barbie and my Amberican Girls dolls. My parents thought what they were doing was right because it was their second daughter and they had all of the hand-me-downs. Then suddenly my brother came into the picture and it threw everything off. Now it wasn't acceptable to play with dolls and dress up as princesses. My parents bought all new toys like Thomas the train and Pokemon. It was such a difference watching a girl grow up compared to a boy.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting how your sister was able to play with all of your old toys, while your brother required a whole new set of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good point. I babysit for a family that refused to recycle their yellow baby room when they had a boy because they felt it was too girly so they spent money on an entire new nursery.

    ReplyDelete