Thursday, December 10, 2009

This week we talked more in depth about social class and how in society today the poor are getting poorer while the rich are getting richer. We watched a video for several days and observed the lives of different social classes of people. It was such a drastic difference between the people of Apalachia and the people of the Hamptons. I thought about how this relates to my life and how I will carry this on to next year at school. Being a part of the Stevenson community, I have been brought up a very different way than the typical high school student. Besides being exposed to difficult school work, my social skills have developed much differently. I had never really noticed this difference before until I took my first official college visit. I was visiting my friend at Iowa and staying the night with her. The girl who I was staying with lived just down the street from me growing up so we had very similar lifestyles. However, I could not say the same for her roommate. Her roommate was VERY nice, just very different. She had grown up on a farm in the middle of rural Iowa. She was the first in her family to attend college, so her being there was a big deal. It was always a given for me to college in my family. Although my dad never went to college, everyone in my extended family had been very educated. While my friend was at Iowa to have fun and go out, and go to classes of course, her roommate rarely went out at night and focused on her studies. The different social classes were very apparent here and for the first time I saw how it played into my life. I'm sure it will be very interesting next year when meeting new people coming from all different backgrounds and social classes.

5 comments:

  1. Growing up in an upper middle class area really influences the way we live. We think and act much differently than someone who grows up on a farm. We don't really socialize with people from different classes, so it must be wierd for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides the difference in wealth, its interesting to see how different people take their studies serious or not depending on where they grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is amazing how growing up in buffalo grove makes such a huge difference than someone growing up on a farm and our views on the privilege of going to college, we view it as a given and she is blessed to be able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would agree with all of the above and it shows just how lucky we are even if we dont think so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that because we live in an upper-middle class area, we are so used to being around people like us that we don't always realize how great we really have it until we see examples of people who have almost nothing and we see how lucky we truly are.

    ReplyDelete