Thursday, September 3, 2009

The other day in class when we talked about different customs/ traditions in countries around the world. I haven't really experienced much of the world outside the all inclusive resorts in Mexico. That got me thinking though- what do other countries, even other states think of where I live? I have grown up in the North Shore my entire life. Yes, I have traveled outside the "bubble" to see what and how other people live, but as my high school years are ending, I am thinking about everything a whole lot more. Like mostly every other high school senior, I'm constantly thinking about college. Me, being a worried teenage girl, thinks a lot about who I'm going to live with next year. What if I live with someone who's never seen a Jewish girl before? Do they really think we have horns?! I think about all this sort of stuff and how my life is so different from millions of other teenagers around the world. A few weeks ago I was driving home from dinner with my dad and I asked a simple question (that now seems stupid), "Do all teenagers belong to health clubs, or is that something that just happens around here?" My dad replied with, "Yes Gillian, the black people living on the south side barely able to afford some food are worried about sending their kids to a gym" (typical sarcastic response from my dad). Since then, I have been trying very hard to expand my horizons and look past where people live and come home. No matter if someone lives in a box or a mansion, everyone has their own traditions and way they live.

1 comment:

  1. Gillian you would ask a question like that haha but I think this is interesting too cause the way that we have grown up really is extremely different than the lives of teenagers elsewhere. We've become used to doing things in a certain way and wanting certain things.

    ReplyDelete